Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Mixed Media Bible Cover

 
I have been wanting to make  mixed media Bible cover but was not sure where to begin. Today I decided that to begin I just needed to begin. So I went to my storage room and got out my sewing machine and a piece of tyvek material I had. Now I have begun and things just started to roll. I cut a piece of material to the size of my bible adding on length so it could be a slip cover.
I wanted to make a background in the same way I have been making my faith art journal pages. I began with pink grapefruit and Irish Mist LuminArte Shimmering mists sprays.

 
The tyvek has a plastic coating on one side and I am working on the opposite side. Next I used versafine onyx black ink and stamped Stamping Up's Irish Blessing background  all over the material.
 
 
I dry in between every step with my heat gun.
 
 
My next step was to tone down the black a little with gesso.

 
I rubbed on the gesso with a used gift card and then I put a piece of decorative washi tape across the whole piece. Next I created some circles with Faber-Castell Guava Gelato by appling it directly to the material and then using a little water with my finger to blend the color. I tried to outline my circles with a black marker and I tried every kind of black marker I had and it just did not want to work. Maybe the whole piece was not dry enough. 
 

 
I swiped on a little more gesso to tie the layers together.
 
 
 I selected two of my hero arts circle stamps, dot design and dot circle. First I stamped the dot design with Color Box rose coral chalk ink then I stamped over each of those with the dot circle stamp and versfine ink.
 
 
 
I had some decorative washi tape that has some crowns and keys on it. The crowns to me represent that Jesus is king and the keys represent that Jesus holds the key to my heart. I applied this to both sides of the wider tape I added earlier. I also went through my stash of previously made labels and applied them to both ends of the cover.
 
 
 
 Now if that wasn't all fun enough, I knew I wanted to add lace and ribbons. So I went though my stash and pulled out pieces that would coordinate with what I had already designed.

 
Now it was time for the sewing machine. I did sew down the tapes and labels to make sure they did not come off. Then I started laying down my ribbons and sewing them down. My lace is a doily I cut in half and the lace flowers are cut from a scrap of curtain I had.
 
 
My final step was to sew the ends to make them neater and then to sew along both long edges which creates the pocket for both flaps of the Bible. This is the back and the front and back inside flaps.
 

 
 

 I am planning on adding a book mark with some ribbons and attach it to the top middle of my Bible cover. If I find a nice little Christian pin I will attach that on the front of my cover just above the lace doily.
 
I hope you enjoyed the process and that I have inspired you to create your own Mixed Media Bible Cover.
till next time...hugs
 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...