Saturday, January 14, 2012

Snowman Contest at Church

 Our Church is having a "Snowman" contest for the month of January. So today two of my grandkids came over to create their snowman. I gave them the base and they were very busy designing their own work of art. While they were working on theirs I created this guy. Not a keeper thats for sure....he looks like a cross between William Penn and a bird.


I was wondering what I was going to do when I spied this metal contianer sitting in a corner in my living room and I knew then that was my base. So I had bought some buffalo snow that was on clearance at Michaels for under $1.00 a bag and I made three snowballs. To hold them together I wrapped them with crochet cotton. I left tails on the biggest snowball when I made it and I took these tails and secured them down into the metal container. Then I put my second snowball on top of that one and wrap it with more crochet cotton to hold the two together. I did the same steps for the final snowball.
Well this girl needed a skirt so I took a piece of my handmade paper I had bought at Hollo's and cut it in half, ran a running stitch with thread and gathered it into a skirt. I had wrapped some drywall tape around where the snowballs meet for extra strength and this created a great base to stitich my skirt on. I then created some arms for my girl and attached them by sewing at the shoulders and then sewing the hands together.
I gathered some doilies I had in my stash to use for the top of her dress. I attached one on each shoulder and added a scrap of lace across the back. I had made some crochet borders previously and attached them down the front of her bodice. I had a little beaded piece someone had given to me and I used that as her brooch. I put some of my antique buttons in a little bag and placed that in her hands then I added a metal snowman. A friend gave me the tag with the glass bottle that has some ingredients to make a snowman and I put that in place in her hands.
For her hat I gathered a round lace doiley and glued that on top of her head. I took a paper doiley folder it in half, and then took three more folded them in half and pleated them and attached them on top of the first doiley. This I placed on the front of her hat with a crochet flower I had made a while ago.
 On the back of her hat I added some more crocheted flowers. For her eyes I glued on some buttons and glued on some fibers for eyebrows. I created a carrot for her nose out of paper and use some beads I had for a mouth. I also found in my stash a quilled snowflake I attached to the bottom edge of the front of her skirt.

Here she is already for the contest. Now to come up with a name for her. I am thinking something with a southern belle feel to it. Any ideas?



Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anabelle...........I'm waiting for mine......:)

Elisabeth said...

This is sooo funny
Charlotte or Scarlet?

Chris said...

Hi Bev, how did the contest go? So cute. Thanks for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.com/

Bev Coffaro said...

I named my little lady..Miss Annabelle and she wasn't in the running for any prizes as she was the mascot for the whole contest. Miss Annablle did find a mate...Sir Andy and they look wonderful together. But alas Miss Annabelle is destined for the south and is headed to Va. My sister fell in love with her so when I go to visit I am going to take her along and give her to my sister.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...