Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Lenten Devotion - Wednesday of Holy Week

"Words That Heal"


Read: II Corinthians 1: 23- 2:11

I am reminded of an old song that the words went like this: "It's only words and words are all I have to take your heart away." How very important it is that we consider the effect of what we say.

When I first read our Scripture for today, I thought what am I to learn from this? As I researched further I found that the Apostle Paul had founded the Church at Corinth at an earlier time. He was not there at the present time. Word had gotten back to him that they were having problems at the church.

False teachers were disputing what Paul had started. They said that Paul was fickle, pround, unimpressive in appearance and speech, dishonest and unqualified. Where have I ever heard such words? Some things seem to never change.

Paul's response was not one of anger or revenge. He was saddened by the situation. He wasn't able to go to Corinth, so he sent Timothy to minister to the people.

As Christians we are to be different than those in the world. No, we don't turn our head and not deal with the problems. We are to do so in love, We are to help one another, to bring comfort by forgiving and supporting each other.

Discipline in the Church serves to keep the Church pure. In our life discipline is to bring us to repentance. Together, as brothers and sisters we help one another. We love and care enough to say what needs to be said. Sometimes the words are tough to hear, but in the end we are brought home where we belong.

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable unto you, oh Lord. Peace and Love,

by Gary Bloomgren

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...