Thursday, March 11, 2010

Lenten Devotion - March 11th, 2010

Read: Psalm 42, 43, 85

As the deer panted for the water,
so my soul longeth after thee.
You alone are my heart's desire,
and I long to worship Thee.

excerpt from "As the Deer" by Martin Nystrom

The song "As the Deer" has always held a special meaning to me. For as I sing the words, the song becomes my prayer to grow closer to God.
In Psalm 42, the Psalmist is searching for God. He has been taken away from his home by his enemies. He yearns to worship in the house of God in Jerusalem, as he once did. His enemies taunt him, saying "Where is your God?"
Even though he is sad and restless, the Psalmist still places his hope in God. He compares himself to a deer in the desert panting for a drink of water. As the deer "thirsts" for water, so does he "thirst " for God.
In times of discontent in our own lives, we may search for fulfillment through our work, other people, and material things. But in each of our hearts, there is a place that only the Lord can fill. Each day we need to ask Jesus to bless us with his presence.

by Darlene Beach

1 comment:

PEA said...

Hi Bev:-) Just wanted to let you know that I received your beautiful ATCs and tags. I love them all, thank you SO much!!! I'm so glad I was one of your winners:-) xo

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...